The Woodward Library’s collection covers a broad range of disciplines in support of learning and research in the Faculties of Applied Science, Dentistry, Forestry, Land & Food Systems, Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Science.
The collection covers a range of subject areas, including agriculture, biology, botany, chemistry, computer science, dentistry, earth and ocean sciences, engineering, food science, forestry, mathematics, medicine, nursing, nutrition, pharmacy, physics, public health, statistics, wood science and zoology.
Woodward Library has the largest biomedical collection in Western Canada and a strong history of medicine and science collection.
|1950 Medical Reading Room established as part of
the Reference Division in the Main Library.
1951 First full-time Biomedical Librarian
1952 Biomedical Branch Library opened at the
1957 Biological and medical collections
1964 Woodward Library was built through a gift
1970 Woodward Library doubled in size through a
1972 The Instructional Resources Centre, which
1973 First online information retrieval service
1977 Remote online database searching made
1978 Card catalogue closed; books from 1977 and
1982 Health Sciences Network established. Woodward Library, the Biomedical Branch Library at VGH, St Paul’s Hospital Library, and the Eric Hamber Library at Shaughnessy Hospital share resources and provide next day delivery to library users.
1988 OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue)
1989 CD-ROM (Compact Disc-Read Only
1992 Woodward Biomedical Library, Biomedical
1994 OVID version of MEDLINE installed in all
1995 Life Sciences Libraries World Wide Web
1997 UBC Library subscribes to its first electronic
1998 Woodward opens a 20 workstation lab for
2003 Partial refurbishment of the main floor of
2006 Relocation of MacMillan Library materials
2009 Library Processing Centre moved in to the 3rd Floor
2010 Basement and Lower Level renovation to provide Group and Silent Study space and refurbish Computer Teaching Lab
2013 Science and Engineering collections, staff and services merged with Woodward Library