A collection of taped and transcribed interviews (1984-1986) with individuals involved in the early history of the Faculty of Medicine at the University of British Columbia to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Medical School.
- Dr. Albert CoxDr. Cox recounts his experiences as a member of the first medical class at UBC.
- Dr. Albert KnudsenDr. Knudsen was in the first medical class at UBC. He organized the class reunions every 5 years.
- Dr. Alexander BoggieDr. Boggie was in UBC’s first medical class, 1950-1954. After working for several years as a General Practitioner, he joined the Family Practice Dept. at UBC, also becoming Associate Dean of Admissions to the Medical School.
- Dr. Claude DolmanFrom 1935-1971, Dr. Dolman was a professor of bacteriology, preventive medicine and immunology at UBC.
- Dr. Donald H. WilliamsDr. Donald H. Williams Interviewed September, 1985 Int.: Dr. Williams, to begin with could you tell us when you got involved with the Faculty of Medicine? What year were you first involved in what was […]
- Dr. Geoffrey Clement AndrewDr. Geoffrey Clement Andrew Interviewed May, 1985 Int.: Professor Andrew, perhaps we could begin with your explaining a little bit about your role in the beginning of the Faculty of Medicine? G.A.: Well, I came […]
- Dr. George B. ElliottGeorge Elliott was a former chief of surgical pathology at Vancouver General Hospital. He also worked for many years for the BC Provincial Health Department.
- Dr. Harold CoppDr. Copp describes the early teaching years; the BC Medical Centre; inter-faculty relations; the second Dean John Patterson and the integrated teaching experiment; the new medical sciences buildings; the huts and the Wesbrook Building
- Dr. James G. FoulkesDr. Foulkes was recruited to UBC as a Professor of Pharmacology in 1957 and remained for the rest of his career.
- Dr. Norman MacKenzieMacKenzie, at 92, discusses his early career, the formation of the medical faculty and school, and the obstacles encountered.
- Dr. Ray ParkinsonDr. Parkinson was a member of the first medical class. He later practiced psychiatry in Vancouver.
- Dr. Robert Bens KerrDr. Kerr joined UBC in 1950 as Professor of Medicine and Head of the Department of Medicine.
- Dr. Rocke RobertsonDr. Robertson studied medicine at McGill and served as the first Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Shaughnessy Hospital and Chief of Surgery at Vancouver General Hospital. On a few occasions he was Acting Dean of the UBC medical school. In 1959, he moved to Montreal where he continued his medical and academic career.
- Dr. Sidney H. ZbarskyDr. Zbarsky joined UBC in 1949 from the University of Minnesota. He was a professor in the Department of Biochemistry for his whole career.
- Dr. Sydney FriedmanDr. Friedman arrived at UBC as Professor of Anatomy in 1950 where he stayed for his entire career.
- Dr. William GibsonDr. Gibson arrived at UBC in 1949 where he became professor of neurological research. From 1963 he was professor of the history of medicine and science.
- Dr. William WebberDr. Webber was an undergraduate and medical student at UBC (class of ’58). He went on to be a Professor of Anatomy and Dean of the Medical School at UBC.
- Gordon CrossenMr Crossen was a general laboratory assistant for the medical school and anatomy research labs, 1950-1984